Will you be camping for more than a week? Is your cooler too small? Don't worry - we have some awesome food ideas to make no-fuss but filling camping snacks or meals that don't require refrigeration. You won't have to worry too much about how to store them, especially when there are leftovers!
- Coffee or Hot Chocolate - Instant or made over the campfire, coffee and hot choco are breakfast favorites among adults and kids alike while camping. Pack some powdered milk, powdered creamer packets, sugar and even tiny marshmallows to customize your drink!
- Cereal - Cereal is one of the easiest breakfast meals to prepare. Just pour some in a bowl, add some milk (use the extra powdered milk you used for your coffee!)and you're good to go! It's a good source of needed energy in the morning for a long day at camp. You can bring 2 large boxes or smaller ones for variety and for smaller servings. The carton packaging may be bulky to pack, so be sure to get rid of it or transfer the cereal to a different container.
- Oatmeal - Oatmeal is another energizing breakfast choice. You can choose plain, pre-sweetened or flavored. Just add hot water to quick-cooking oatmeal packages. Drizzle with honey, add a handful of granola for some crunch or eat with a fresh fruit!
- Bread - If you want something a little heavier, you can go for a breakfast sandwich. Loaf bread or bagels are great choices. You can make different sandwiches like grilled cheese and PBJ, or toast it and enjoy with scrambled eggs and/or SPAM- all these require no refrigeration. Bread can last for a few days, just keep it out of the sun and keep the bag tightly closed.
- Pancakes - The classic breakfast - pancakes and syrup! A box of pancake mix is easy to pack and cook. Add slices of fresh fruit or chocolate chips to the batter for added fun! Top with syrup or spread with jam or peanut butter!
- Canned Chicken - You can use canned chicken in so many ways - in soups, stews, salads or sandwiches. Canned tuna is also a good choice! Just mix with mayo, add some spices and make some filling sandwiches!
- Tortilla or Pita Wraps - Use the chicken or tuna spread to stuff your wraps, too. You can also use raw or roasted veggies along with your favorite dressing.
- Jerky - Jerky is a good source of protein. You can pack a variety of dried meat jerky like beef, turkey and bacon to enjoy with crackers, roast vegetables or even with rice! Another meat that needs no refrigeration is cured ham, which can also be enjoyed with the same sides!
- Grilled Veggies - Fresh vegetables make a good meal by itself or added to your camping meals. You can make grilled veggie kebabs, grilled corn on the cob, veggie roasts and stews (using your Dutch oven), cheesy potato foil packets... the list goes on!
- Macaroni and Cheese - Mac and cheese is a filling meal that needs no refrigeration. Instant mac and cheese makes an easy-to-prepare lunch that everyone loves!
- Soups or Stews - There are plenty of delicious canned soups or stews out there and all you have to do is heat them over a campfire for a hearty dinner. Choose the thick ones for a more filling meal. If you'd like to make your own, just combine sliced up fresh vegetables with broth or tomato sauce in your Dutch oven. Add some canned or dried meat if you prefer. You can also opt to use canned vegetables like green beans, carrots, peas and potatoes.
- Chili - Chili is one of the easiest dinners you can prepare while camping. Heat canned chili and add some jalapenos if the night is cold. Enjoy it with breadsticks, cornbread, or nachos! Use processed cheese like Cheez Whiz for the nachos!
- Spaghetti - Just boil dry pasta and drain, add canned spaghetti sauce and top with some fresh herbs and you got yourself a fuss-free, delicious dinner! Alternatively, you can also serve canned pasta if you're too tired after a long, adventure-filled day!
- Noodles - Another warm dinner option for cooler nights is noodle soups. You can make your own on a pot, adding ingredients of your choice. Or you can each enjoy a cup of instant noodles!
- Salmon Burgers - For an easy but delicious dinner using no-refrigerate ingredients, use canned salmon to make burger patties. Grill or fry the patties then add your favorite condiments or some sliced vegetables in a burger bun!
Bonus: Snack Ideas
- Trail mix
- Energy or granola Bars
- Fruit cups
- Brownies, cookies or muffins (homemade or packaged)
- Dried Fruit
- Pop Tarts
- Juice Packs
Planning easy-to-prepare meals with ingredients that don't need refrigeration will go a long way when you're at the campsite. Use the ideas above for some quick but delicious food ideas! Enjoy!
Our Camping Pillow makes a great gift for friends and family who love camping and the outdoors. It's compressible and fully adjustable to meet your comfort when sleeping inside a tent! Treat yourself to one, too! Shop here now!